SAINT JOHN, October 25, 2011 – T4G Limited, a technology company with New Brunswick operations in Saint John, Moncton and Fredericton, is calling on both the private sector and government to endorse a new report which plainly lays out the province’s failings and solutions required for the technology sector.
“This is my home and I know New Brunswickers like to be told the truth,” says T4G President Geoff Flood, who is also volunteer chairman of the New Brunswick Information Technology Council, which prepared the report on behalf of the Premier’s Advisory Council on Technology.
“Despite recent successes like Radian6 and Q1 Labs, the plain facts are that the technology sector in our province has slipped in recent years. And it is just as clear that Premier David Alward’s government is prepared to do what it can to rectify the situation,” Mr. Flood added.
The report, entitled Growing the ICT Sector, does not specifically point fingers, but says the private sector and government must “be in lock step” if New Brunswick is to get back on the global technology map.
Among the report’s findings and recommendations:
• NB’s Information Communications Technology sector is 20 per cent smaller than Canadian average (3.8 per cent of GDP vs. 4.9 per cent)
• If NB simply reaches the Canadian average for ICT as a percentage of GDP, $256 million new dollars will be generated each year for the economy and thousands of new jobs
• NB ICT sector is not investing in R & D as much as other jurisdictions, such as Costa Rica, Iceland, Israel, Korea and Canada as a whole
• Iceland, a country with 40 per cent the population and GDP of New Brunswick, not only invests more in R & D as a percentage of GDP but also in absolute dollars
• New Brunswick needs to find and develop more talent and spur a culture of entrepreneurialism in the province
• New Brunswick needs to generate more ideas with export potential like the company Radian6, which was sold for $326 million to salesforce.com earlier this year
• The province must differentiate itself away from cost to where the world knows they can find better people and ideas in New Brunswick
Download the NBITC report here.
T4G is a North American, project-based, full-service professional services company founded in 1996 with offices in Vancouver, Toronto, Saint John, Fredericton, Moncton, Halifax and Saco, Maine. We believe in building high-performing teams and breaking conventional wisdom. We believe in our people and true participation in each and every project we undertake. We believe in The Intelligent Application of Technology™ where less can be more, where innovation leads to opportunity, and where a culture of commitment always strives to exceed customers' expectations. For more information: www.t4g.com